Is it possible to stop?

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Is it possible to stop?

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:30 pm

I have tried to stop drinking and it feels like if I don't drink I am no fun to be around. I got wrecked last night, didn't come home until 4am. My husband is not talking to me. I can't keep living this way. I quit drugs two years ago. That was very hard!! I just feel like this is impossible. It seems like everything/everwhere is surrounded by drinking. Almost everywhere I go parties,resturants, friends houses,sports outings there are drinks in my face. I somtimes think OK just one drink, ha - 10 later I am stummbling home. I am scared to go to meetings. What if someone I know sees me @ a meeting. What will they think, are they going to tell other people? If they are my kids friend's parents will they let their kid come over and play? Most of my friends drink, so will they still want to hang out with me? I just can't drink like they can. They can stop after a few I gotta drink till I blackout, get the spins, pass out or puke!! WhenI do stop after a few it's like I am so proud of myself, and that doesn't happen often.

Re: Is it possible to stop?

Unread postby soberisfun » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

It is possible to stop drinking, but you need to be willing to do it. You will have to make changes to not have alcohol surrounding you--yes, you might have to change things--but it depends on what YOU really want. If you go to meetings and see someone you know, so what?? they are there for the same reason and can be your greatest support! they would expect you to keep their anonymity--so why wouldn't they keep yours?? :D
You may need medical help in stopping--detox--
and you can bet people are already talking about you--what would you prefer they talk about? Your drinking or your recovery efforts?
soberisfun

Unread postby oneunitedfan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:14 am

This might seem harsh but its about time you grew up !Out all night drinking and most likely driving drunk .when will it end after you are in jail serving 10 years for killing someone! Go to AA
change If nothing changes nothing changes belive me theres more to life then parting you are missing so much tell me how much do you remember of the night? please go give it a try for yourself
oneunitedfan

Unread postby oneunitedfan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 am

A question for you .You say your friends wont want you around if you stop drinking what sort of friends are they? true friends would understand and support you also going to AA is nothing to be ashamed of. i tell everyone after you go and begin to work the steps 4-11 you will find how proud you are that you can hold your head up high look people in the faces. how often do you doge your friends neighbors because of what you did the day/night before when drinking And yes it might surprise you the people you might at AA doctors lawyers judges movie stars there is nothing wrong in excepting who you are it take courage and honest to surrender i drink for 39 years i have 18 months sober i wish i had got it 39 years ago its beyond my wildest dreams how my life as changedstop worring what other people think i say what other people think about me is none of my bussiness!

oneunitedfan OUT!
oneunitedfan

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 am

It's me again. I really like coming here and it helps. I still have not gone to a meeting, but it is helpful to here evryone's thought on them.I had good intension the one night drive by the chruch like 5x and didn't go in. I was so nervous, I don't know why? Instead I went to the library. I want to say thanks to everyone for responding to me. Last night I went to a party and everone of my friends were totally respectful that I was not drinking. I think I was using that as an excuse so I can drink, and totally misjudge them based on my selfish thoughts. As I feel I am using the excuse someone may see me at AA and that is why I don't want to go. I have not drank for 5 days now, but staying sober for a period of time is not my problem, It's when I finally do have a drink I can't control myself. I thought getting through the weekend was going to be tough, that is normally my drinking nights. but I did it!! I like this site and feel it has helped me alot. I can come here, nobody knows me and feel good about myself. :D

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:38 am

Me again. 7 days sober. I will just keep reposning to myself, because I feel good everytime I come back here. Everyday I feel alittle bit stronger and lighter. I think I may have lost alittle weight. I guess 2 cases of beer per a week can pack on the lbs. Still haven't gone to a meeting. Why do I feel so nervous/scared about it? Is it normal not to want to tell everyone I am quiting drinking?

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Guest wrote:Me again. 7 days sober. I will just keep reposning to myself, because I feel good everytime I come back here. Everyday I feel alittle bit stronger and lighter. I think I may have lost alittle weight. I guess 2 cases of beer per a week can pack on the lbs. Still haven't gone to a meeting. Why do I feel so nervous/scared about it? Is it normal not to want to tell everyone I am quiting drinking?

Hi I feel just like you I do not know why I do not stop this is day one for me and I am going to keep checking in and try I have so many problems I can't begin to tell u but I do know that drinking is making everything worse.

Unread postby co dependant » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 pm

I just looked on your website and found it helpful to read about others like myself. I've tried AA and wasn't comfortable with the meetings. I feel if you have connections direcly on the internet I would be more successful. I get on the internet everyday. What are some suggestions or contacts?

Co-dependant
co dependant

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 pm

It's me again. 8 days sober. I keep coming back because I think this website is awesome and helpful!
I don't have any other websites to go on. I quit doing drugs awhile ago and found reading about recovery/addiction was very helpful. I kept a journal and wrote down everything I was feeling and doing. Just thoughts I had and I copied things like prayers, and poems. I like to look back at the journal. I have accomplished so much, now I must tackle drinking. I quit smoking, and drugs. I gained alittle wieght like 5 - 10 lbs, not bad! I feel really good though. I think within time I will loose the weight. I started picking up better habits like exercising/jogging, gardening, cooking, knitting, things like that. Today I was thinking about the bar or just having a drink. I wanted it so bad, then I thought about what happens when I do - the taste in my mouth, the dizziness, not being in control of my actions, the feeling in the morning. Hot bloodshoot eyes, dry mouth, headace, I get a hunger for greasy bad food then I feel even worse.

Unread postby Mona » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I am a recovering addict, I have a site that you can visit to find out more about me.
http://MYSOBRIETY.synthasite.com
Mona

Unread postby mona » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Stay strong, and keep looking up. Just say to yourself, I can do it. I will do. Over coming addiction is not an easy task, you have to be strong, and stay focused on staying clean. I use to say this "No weapon formed against me shall prosper" Each day you will feel stronger, you will be able to see more clearer. Good Luck
mona

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Yes it is possible to stop, but you have to be willing to make the commitment, and realize thta your life has become unmanagable

Unread postby oneunitedfan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 pm

You doing great keep going to meeting there are lots of meeting in philadelphia. stay away from club houses at frist . remember you are goint to get well try and go to all women meetings if you can. then you can focus on the problem try to find meeting that are small with older people that have time, stick with the winners stay away from the relaspase and drama queens .you are doing great get a sponser with at least 10 years good luck .............i have never had it so good ..one day at a time thats all we ask one day at a time
oneunitedfan

Unread postby present » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 am

Hi -

I have been sober for just about the same amount of time you have. It is really HARD! I related to what you said about being afraid to be seen (I'm also in the Phila. area, fyi). I grew up around here, have a professional job, know people and have kids, etc etc so a lot is at stake). I really didn't want to go to meetings. I was afraid of all the same things you mentioned... but for me, more afraid I couldn't do it on my own. After the first one I realized it was helpful to be there. I admit I worried about the word getting out about my issue, but decided to just trust that it would be ok and to go. For the most part I think the anonymity is respected. If lines are crossed, I just have to believe I will be ok. One thing that helped was thinking how I felt about others I know when i first learned from them that they are recovering alcoholics - I totally respect(ed) them for it. That being the case, I decided (hope) that people would feel that way about me if they knew.

It sounds like you are doing well just using this site; that is really impressive to me! If it turns out you want to have more people around in person, maybe a meeting in a town where you won't know people would help. Whatever you do, I hope you stay strong and feel great about your courage.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 am.
present

Return to New to Recovery?