My name is Michael and I am new to recovery.

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

My name is Michael and I am new to recovery.

Unread postby MIKE52980 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi, my name is Michael and I am a 28 year old union carpenter and I am fairly new to recovery I am looking for help finding meetings in my age bracket. I would not mind if they were in center city at all can anybody help me. I am a non smoker and trying to find people to help me replace alcohol in my life with people. I WANT TO HAVE FUN WITHOUT INVOLVING ALCOHOL. I don't need alcohol to have fun but i do need people to show me how to make this a reality so please help me.
MIKE52980

Re: My name is Michael and I am new to recovery.

Unread postby melissa m. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Hey Michael,

Where do you live? I am in Haverford and so I mostly go to meetings out this way.. but there are some really good meetings in the area with plenty of young people. I am 33 and have found meeting with lots of people around our age. There is a meeting at 8:30 on Thursdays at Villanova.. I should be there 2morro.

I am also very new to AA and sobriety in general.. I have been trying to stop drinking for awhile, but this is the first time I have actually gone to AA and it has been really helpful! I finally have 6 weeks (without cheating)... and have met a lot of really great people.

Feel free to get in touch~

~Melissa

melissamcgarry@live.com
melissa m.

Unread postby patchkit » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey Mike, I'm a 33-year-old union carpenter trying... again.. to recover. I stopped for 90 days last year, started again, stopped for 60 and went on a binge. I'm on my 3rd day now. I'm a single-parent father of a 5-year-old boy who is going through a divorce. And I've spent 90K dollars on custody litigation for my son after his mother kidnapped him last year. I am under an extreme amount of stress but I have to stop drinking so I'm reaching out for help. I can't do this alone, like I thought I could.
patchkit

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:34 pm

HI I am Deana I am very new to this, I am 30. I feel like there is no way to have any fun without a drinks. I have tried to stop drinking but it just made me a bitter person and I would think I can just have one, well we know how that goes 10 later. I have never been to a meeting very nervous about going. I don't want people I know to see me going to any meetings. I have childern and I don't want any of their friends parents to know. I really need help, I know I am about to ruin my marriage and my life if I don't get help.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:46 am

Hey Deana,

I think going to meetings shows that you want to get better, and that's really cool. Who cares what other people think? Do you think they're better than you? We all carry our own cross. Who says "The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well"?

Think of you, think of your family, and get help.

Unread postby seinfeld7 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi I am 37yr old woman brand new to this but realize I need help. Can anyone recommend a good meeting in the city for a first timer?
peace to all
seinfeld7

Unread postby lilmom583 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:55 pm

I am new to this too, was sober for 2 wks,then relapsed. I am planning to go to my first mtg tomorrow, but it is very scary and shameful, beating myself up. My husband drinks so that makes it very difficult. the mtg tomorrow is on Lansdowne and is women only. I think it will be easier for me for my first mtg - wish me luck!! If anyone lives near Havertown, I would love to have someone to go with
lilmom583

Unread postby trouty » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 pm

Michael, My name is Bill. I am also a union carpenter in recovery. I am also new to the program(coming up on 9mths). Just wanted to let you know that there are alot of us out there on the job who will always have the time to listen.
trouty

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Hello Michael,
My name is Joanna and I am also new to recovery, I am 24 years of age and am also looking for a location easy to get to with reasonable meeting hours. When you first log in you can search locations, just choose a part of the city on their listing and a destination should appear. Try this first then if you have some trouble get back to me. Be strong and good luck.

Joanna

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:55 pm.

Return to New to Recovery?