need another chance at a real life.....

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

need another chance at a real life.....

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Hello my name is joanna, I am 25 years of age and I am struggling with a pain pill addiction. When I was younger I was introduced to pain pills due to surgeory. After realizing that they made me feel so good that all of the world and it's problems slowly diminished, I thought to myself this is the way to go. I have a great medical background and I am short of a 4.0 GPA, But that is not making me strong enough to quit. I waste so much of my money now of days and that is not to get high, anymore it is just so I don't get sick. I need help, or I am not going to make it. Please any advice would strongly be appreciated from the ones who understand......... :roll:

Re: need another chance at a real life.....

Unread postby Nursey » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Yes Joanna.............you DO deserve a chance to live and enjoy your life! You CAN'T take on the monster of an opiate addiction alone. You ll lose. Are you really ready to do what needs to be done to get healthy??
Barbara
Nursey

Unread postby Barb2 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm

HI Joanna...I am 39 days off pain medication...I'm lucky I didn't die I took so much of it for so long...month after month I told myself I'll only take it as prescribed or I'll stop next month, of course I didn't. Then I realized my tolerance was so high I was taking it, like you, just not to get sick. Finally, 39 days ago, I admitted to myself I needed to stop. I joined AA 31 years ago and stayed clean and sober for 15 years but then stopped going to meetings...then I got in trouble...so now I'm back to meetings and feeling much clearer and very glad to be free. It wasn't easy to get off and I still have cravings but I know they will go away with time. Your only chance at a real life is to stop taking the pills and go to meetings for support...I was amazed at how much support I got...give it a try....I can tell you as someone who LOVED pain pills...being clean is better!
Barb2

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:20 pm

is that all you did to help you get off the pills was attend NA meetings? Or did you tell your doctor first and he/she put you on some other mind altering drug to help the cravings to stop?

I've got the same problem...been taking them and want to stop but can't...too ashamed to tell anyone for fear of what folks would think of me...no one would believe that I was so weak. What's the first step that you recommend?

Barb2 wrote:HI Joanna...I am 39 days off pain medication...I'm lucky I didn't die I took so much of it for so long...month after month I told myself I'll only take it as prescribed or I'll stop next month, of course I didn't. Then I realized my tolerance was so high I was taking it, like you, just not to get sick. Finally, 39 days ago, I admitted to myself I needed to stop. I joined AA 31 years ago and stayed clean and sober for 15 years but then stopped going to meetings...then I got in trouble...so now I'm back to meetings and feeling much clearer and very glad to be free. It wasn't easy to get off and I still have cravings but I know they will go away with time. Your only chance at a real life is to stop taking the pills and go to meetings for support...I was amazed at how much support I got...give it a try....I can tell you as someone who LOVED pain pills...being clean is better!

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:25 pm

where does one take the first step in seeking help to get off of the pain pill addiction. i've been reading info on line and most resources recommend telling your doctor first, as this will more than likely lead to meds to help soothe the detoxing. afterwards does the NA meetings (consistently) help?

Unread postby LuLu » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Your best chance of getting the help you need is to make an appointment with a reputable therapist that specializes in addiction. This person should be able to steer you in the right direction. If you need help in finding a therapist like this, contact one of the organizations that work with addictions in your area or a drug rehabilitation center.

Please, take this step. You have a lot to offer. Addiction without recovery will destroy you and addiction with recovery will save you.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm.
LuLu

Return to New to Recovery?