new here and in need of help

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

new here and in need of help

Unread postby gabby » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:55 am

i drink everyday. i have tried to stop, the longest i have gone was 6 days. i thought i could handle one drink after that but ended up failing miserably. i literally have no control over anything in my life right now and drinking is consuming all time. i do have a job and i manage to stay employeed but the money i spend and the toll it is taking on my body scares me.
i need help and this is the first time i have admitted it or asked. anyone have any words of advice?
gabby

Re: new here and in need of help

Unread postby smiley » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Hello, just wanted to let you know that AA is the right place for you. I would suggest making a meeting every day and start to talk to people. There are millions of people world wide staying sober who were just as bad as you are or much worse. Every person has to decide for themselves whether or not they are ready to get sober. After you decide that you are ready, then this is a proven method of doing so.
smiley

Unread postby Guest » Fri May 01, 2009 12:01 pm

I could have wrote your exact letter. I would like to not drink, and every morning say today will be my first day of not drinking, then 4 o'clock rolls around and it's cocktail hour. Don't really know why I went on this site today, but maybe it was ment to be. I would like to be your partner and communicate daily and help each other stay sober. Your ahead of me if you're 6 days in, but I'll start today, promise. Hope to hear back with a positive response. I really want to do this and feel I can with support.

Unread postby Patty » Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 pm

not sure if my reply went out. im new here. God Bless.
Patty

Unread postby Patty » Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Just trying to figure myself out without being on something is without a doubt one of the hardest things to do. Im struggling too. But i believe that we are all a lot stronger than we think. Seriously. Glad this place is here to talk and vent. its my first day on it. God Speed my fellow friends and think positive. Im trying. patty
Patty

Unread postby harmony1 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:02 am

Today is my first day sober. I drink every day too, even though it doesn't work for me anymore, and makes me feel horrible. I've asked why so much, I don't care why I just want out. Like you it is taking a toll on my body and I can't stand the craving the minute I pick up a drink it sets off a craving. I feel like a junkie. I am praying, reading the bible, the i-ching writing in a journal. I am scared of people at meetings but I am going to try working the steps online or something. I just want to be right. I enjoyed your post it is good to know I am not the only one alcohol has a hold on. Pray for me i'll pray for you
harmony1

Unread postby frankford guy » Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 pm

just wanted to say hello to the new people looking for help in their addictions and all current members of a.a., its truley a better way of living.hit meetings, pray, find other alcoholics to talk to, hook up with a sponsor. if the meeting you go to doesnt seem to fit you, go to another meeting somewhere else. im pretty involved with the steps, and can really say..........it works if YOU work it. see ya at the meetings. and i loveee life today.. later on!
frankford guy

Unread postby rsgb » Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Get to a meeting. Tell them what is going on. They will reach out to you that is the way this program works. I have been sober for 4 months now and I am happier than I have ever been in my life. It is all thanks to AA.
rsgb

Unread postby havenly88 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Today is day 1 and I'm feeling better that I did this morning. I had a gastric bypass 2 years ago and if I don't quit drinking I'm going to lose everything including my life. I' m looking for meetings to attend.
havenly88

Unread postby redroad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:50 pm

said those exact words 33 yrs ago. found out i was serious about doing something about and here it is today - sober and still kicking. Build trust with yourself and then others then start committment followed up with ACTION. It'll work, don't be surprised. Being sober is catchy.
redroad

Unread postby starfish » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 am

I'm new too. Never really had a problem aside from "normal" drinking. It was social and then after taking a severance package from work, it turned more regular since I didn't have to wake up or perform and then...boom, it was just too much. I haven't been to AA yet and figured I'd start here. I do however go see someone to talk about this and it helps. Trying to find out WHY I do it...anxiety, etc. It helps, but I've slipped...so looking to this and AA to get me over the hump. There are people who are genetically inclined, but not sure what my deal is. <sigh>

Haven't drank since last monday....went 2 weeks before that without anything...but then I drank far too much a few days in a row...so mad at myself.
starfish

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion