New here, and need help.

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

New here, and need help.

Unread postby Kim K » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi, I'm addicted to opiates, and I've decided to get help. I think I'm in withdrawal. How do I deal with it? Also where can I find online NA meetings?
Kim K

Re: New here, and need help.

Unread postby kimkinabseconnj » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:33 pm

I attended my first NA meeting last night, and I've been clean since yesterday morning. I am really struggling here.
kimkinabseconnj

Unread postby Kim K » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:43 pm

God, I feel so alone. But now I have been clean for 24 hours. Attended my first NA meeting last night, going again tomorrow.
I need recovery bad. I can't go back to the using.
Kim K

Unread postby jayempea » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Kim.

I wish I could give you all of the answers but I'm certainly not the one to do it. What I can tell you is that I got off of opiates a couple of years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and had the craziest sensations I never imagined. I give you lots of credit for having the courage to begin the process. I don't know what kind of how much you were using but please, if you can get through the next week or two, you can begin to work on the real recovery process, the REAL work. Myself, I was miserable having physical withdrawal symptoms that were quite honestly horrible (Oxycodone) but it did go away. My biggest regret to date is that I left it there. I got over the physical part and that's as far as I went. I ended up switching to something else down the road and in my sick brain decided that since it wasn't classified as an "opiate", I was still living my sobriety. Of course, we addicts can lie to everyone, including ourselves.

So, all I really want to stress is that yes, getting off of the stuff SUCKS....it really does. But please, get a plan in order for when the physical pain ends because the mental stuff.....it just doesn't go away. That's where I am today and struggling to get my own act together once again.

Best wishes to you for wisdom, strength and peace.
jayempea

Unread postby bard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 pm

congrats, I just completed my first year two days ago. It can be done, it is hard and a daily struggle but one day at a time.
bard

Unread postby JarrettD » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Hey, Stay strong. I was an opiate addict for years and know how terrible the withdraw can be. Just drink panty of water, go to meetings, and reach out for help when you need it. It gets easier.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm.
JarrettD

Return to New to Recovery?