"What is Sobriety" Contest

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

"What is Sobriety" Contest

Unread postby Admin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 pm

There is a prize drawing for the best entry for "What is Sobriety". Please post your entry as a reply to this message. You must be registered to win. More details to follow.

September 2009 is National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month

To celebrate National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month we are having a contest for the best message on our message board describing What is Sobriety?

Grand Prize:

(2) Florida Marlins at
Philadelphia Phillies Tickets
Fan Appreciation Day
Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 1:35 PM
at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA
(16 rows from the field)

OR

a Copy of HBO's Addiction Series on DVD.

All you need to do to enter is be a registered member of the message board (click here http://www.sobrietyonline.org/forum/ucp.php?mode=register to register if you are not a member) and post a message under this topic What is Sobriety? The more honest, thought provoking and heart felt the message the better, especially if you can help someone else that is going through addiction and/or recovery .

September 27th is the deadline for entries. The winner will be notified on September 28th.

If you are having problems with the message board, please send us an email at admin@sobrietyonline.org.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: "What is Sobriety" Contest

Unread postby joep54321 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 am

when is the deadline?
joep54321

Unread postby Admin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:15 pm

joep54321 wrote:when is the deadline?

Hi Joe,

The game is 2009-10-04 Sunday 01:35 PM. So probably the last week in September. I will post the details this weekend.

Thanks for posting.

John

ps.. you are in the lead so far :)
Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby joep54321 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Sobriety is actually keeping up with this sight, while keeping up with this sight is also sobbriety. Not my post just a shout out
joep54321

Unread postby Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:10 pm

sobriety is looking at your son and seeing a great big smile
and instead of geting you want playin with him for awhile
to ba able to laugh without first geting high
to take the steps and feel one day at the time
to be proud of yourself with out no ones help
to be able to sleep at night by loving your self!
and although it is lonely at times
one things for i wont go get high!

Unread postby charliedog » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:15 am

For me sobriety is not just abstinence from mind or mood altering substances. Sobriety is living life on life's terms according to the spiritual principles outlined by the 12 steps and those found in our literature. Fundamentals such as helping others, carrying a message of hope, honest and open sharing of our experiences, strength and hope, putting our recovery first; to list but a few. These are solid principles which, when allowed to manifest in my life, guides me in love with the spirit of what this 12 step program encompasses; a foundation with which to build my recovery upon. Honesty, open-mindedness and willingness are three principles at work in my life that are truly indispensable. They have been key in laying the foundation of my recovery. In practice they have proven to be challenging yet ultimately rewarding, freeing me from a life of depravity. I define sobriety as the process by which I live, one day at a time, simple spiritual principles. I am a work in progress and am grateful today to a Higher Power (who I choose to call God) to be clean and sober and a productive member of society.
-Charlie A.
charliedog

Unread postby dogbadger » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 am

Spiritus contra spiritum.
dogbadger

Unread postby remade55 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 am

For me,Sobriety is being able to put my head on my pillow at night, after a day without a drink or drug.Then realizing my Higher Power and I did a good job and that,I AM A WINNER! Thank God ! For another DAY Sober.
remade55

Unread postby malikah » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 am

Sobriety is freedom
Sobriety is Peace
Sobriety is Joy
Sobriety is Loving yourself
Sobriety is not believing the lie that our disease tells us
Sobriety is learning to treat yourself with dignity & respect
Sobriety is driving your grandchildren in your car sober
Sobriety is waking up in the morning knowing where you've been, who you were with and what happen.
Sobriety is being responsible for your action
Sobriety is knowing that I am not the higher power!!!!!
malikah

Unread postby Guest » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:41 pm

malikah wrote:Sobriety is learning to treat yourself with dignity & respect
Sobriety is driving your grandchildren in your car sober
Sobriety is waking up in the morning knowing where you've been, who you were with and what happen.
Sobriety is being responsible for your action

malikah,

I agree with you. How many times have I said "I can't believe I said that last night". Or worse, I actually drove drunk (ESPECIALLY with someone else in the car).

Unread postby Darlene V » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:19 am

WHAT IS SOBRIETY? I looked up the word and came with the definition of: sobriety is SOLEMN or DIGNIFIED personal BEHAVIOUR. Serious, with grace, proud and act or/& movement.

You didn't know you could have it. It's lots of hard work..well worth it..and once your mission is on it's way, slowly, with caution, to your next step in your new life. as time goes buy, you start to stand tall..You're ready to start learning (by listening), about you.

But this YOU only comes out with "sobriety". You see another way of living. you can't touch it. but you feel it with your heart & soul...convictions. You can't smell it..but you sell life's many joys!!

FAITH. Faith that YOU can & deserve this life for yourself..& that you can share, love, learn with many levels of different understandings.

Faith in someone being there when you really need them, and appreciation of giving back.

SOBRIETY IS A WAY OF BEING..plain and simple. Thank you all for another day sober!!
DARLENE V
Darlene V

Unread postby darlene v » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:34 am

[color=#FF0080]Malikah: I have to agree with you, I even entered in the contest and those where (in around about way) the same words I used..dignity & respect..and that can go both ways. Thanks.[/color] 8) Cool

Where does this go?? I can't find my entry??? help..
darlene v

Unread postby November_rain » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:15 am

Hey guys, I am very impressed with your answers so far... You are so right when you say it is a way of life. Don't you think the meaning of Sobriety tends to change as we get older? This is just my 2 cents :)
Anyway keep them coming!!! And it will be tough to pick a winner because you are all winners.
November_rain

Unread postby guest » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:52 am

What a great idea. I love reading the submissions. Keep them coming.

Unread postby Bclean4life » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:36 am

Hello all I've learned that Sobriety is a way of living. By maintaining a conscience contact with the God of your understanding we begin to grow more and more closer to enjoying the promises that are guaranteed in the Big Book. There is so much joy that we experience by living by spiritual principles.. At first thought who could imagine that the more you give the more you have. I find that this is a way of living this altruistic plane allows me to know my purpose. By learning to live in steps 10, 11, 12 on a daily basis I find comfort. Spiritual Principles work they allow me to be Happy Joyous and Free which is exactly what the Big Book Promises. We all must do the work required in steps 4, 5, and 6. When we follow the Big Book and do a thought provoking 4th step. We are actually building a relationship with a power greater than ourselves. By saying the 3rd step prayer then allowing the God of your Understanding to show you what is blocking you from having fellowship with the spirit healing has begun. We simply have to write down in our notebook what God reveals to us. By writing our 4th step everyday for an hour we have begun to find the nature of our wrongs which is really the reason we became alcoholic. God will bring our sub conscience thoughts and Ideas to our conscience mind where they can be removed and understood. Only when we know who we are can we be in a position to give and love our neighbor. You can not give something you do not have. Lets all have an attitude of gratitude because our glass is always half full. May the Lord continue to bless us with fellowship.
Bclean4life

Next

Return to New to Recovery?