I need to stop

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I need to stop

Unread postby outocntxt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:02 am

Once again, I got drunk last night. I scared the hell out of the people who love me and could have died. If I continue like this, I am going to die. I have to get sober.
outocntxt

Re: I need to stop

Unread postby Gman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:05 am

I don't know how much you have tried to stop, but it helps greatly to make a daily plan and stick to it. Write it or type it in large letters so you can look at it every day. Put things you need to do like:
Morning read for an hour
Meditate with music
Afternoon Go for a Bike Ride
Say a Prayer (if you pray, do it every day)
Late Afternoon Yoga or excersize
Evening Work the 12 Steps
Everyday: Some Sort of Sobriety Meeting

If you really want to quit it is all up to you, so tell ALL your family and friends that you need them to help you by not drnking around you
and by supporting you. Maybe you tried before but quitting is multidemensional. So ifyou have tried some way in the past, keep that way
but add a few more "apples to your basket" like: http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/re ... skills.htm

GOOD LUCK
Gman

Unread postby Nuttpoem » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:16 pm

It's just a matter of time. That hole in the soul is also a spiritual home. You'll stop with the second step. You've already taken the first. Strength and courage....
Nuttpoem

Unread postby beachnut » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Nuttpoem wrote:It's just a matter of time. That hole in the soul is also a spiritual home. You'll stop with the second step. You've already taken the first. Strength and courage....

I have tried to quit many times - there's no secret to it - do what the program tells you to do - The 12 step program , not Your 12 step progream. A bib book study mt, step- mtg, open mtg, sponsor - knowlegdge - all these thins suggested can help you get clean and sober, but one must LIVE the life - and at first it was all I could do to survive. One Day at a time , the Serenity Prayer - big helpers. I always believed in a hiher power, I just had to let Him be in charge - still a challene today. After Step 4, when I fould out what my real base fear was, and started working on that, it was fun to be Sober and Live recovery, not just survive life on life's terms. Many mistakes I made. et a good support roup. Stay away from people, places and things - even if it is your famil. These are things the proram taught me - not advice. God Bless ou. I had to become veery humble and grateful for every little and bi thin. I wish you well, and this is my first time chatting, so I hope we meet again.
beachnut

Unread postby woody901 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 pm

I know its easy for us to [comment] but do you the best you can do. Take it a day at a time, an hour at a time if it works for you. Try to get to a meeting and get some phone numbers. if you can't get out, make some contacts on line. Once you get your foot in the door, its really simple and gets easier day by day. For today, though, try to get a few phone numbers in case you feel like your going to have a drink. Until then, call a family member that understands your problem. If you have friends or family in recovery, call them first. If all else fails and you belief in God, PRAY! Remember though, take it easy on yourself. God Bless You!
woody901

Unread postby denatrvs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm

I too am having a hard time. Its been a rough 3 years....I've had sobriety...but I lost it again & ended up hospitalized recently. Between my husbands stage 4 throat cancer & my mom who I worshipped & adored dying last year, I just can't keep myself sober, or rather, I am struggling terribly!! I don't want to live like this. I sure could use a friend

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm.
denatrvs

Return to New to Recovery?