Sober 5 days...considering my first meeting tomorrow

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Sober 5 days...considering my first meeting tomorrow

Unread postby reed,jared » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi there,

I have been sober 5 days. Made a commitment to doing this. Recently moved in with my father and told him I need to get my drinking under control. Right now I am feeling great, but I know that feeling will slip.Tomorrow I am looking into my first meeting, I found one around the corner from my house. Do I have to talk? I'm worried I'll be the only one to show up.....i guess these are normal fears. Thanks
reed,jared

Re: Sober 5 days...considering my first meeting tomorrow

Unread postby Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:51 am

Kudos to you!!! And yes, these are perfectly normal fears. You don't have to talk, you don't have to do anything really except listen to the other members while they're sharing, and I'm sure you will relate right away. And make sure to go to different meetings to meet other people, listen to other experiences... Get the best out of it and get better.

Unread postby dinaisdone » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:55 pm

reed,jared wrote:Hi there,

I have been sober 5 days. Made a commitment to doing this. Recently moved in with my father and told him I need to get my drinking under control. Right now I am feeling great, but I know that feeling will slip.Tomorrow I am looking into my first meeting, I found one around the corner from my house. Do I have to talk? I'm worried I'll be the only one to show up.....i guess these are normal fears. Thanks

I am brand new to this site and have one day sober.....i hate the way I act and feel when I put SoCO in my body...it turns me into a monster.......It is time that I just stop before I end up dead in an accident, I get raped, or killed........I want to be free of drinking ........I am scared of failure........I need someone to talk to because everyone I know drinks and it is not easy for me right now. I am a binge drinker who basically doesnt know when to stop when I do........sometimes I felt like suicide......I swear its the drvil...I am going to find meetings and start to talk to people who do NOT drink.....I am dying inside....I am in love and ruining my relationship.......just needed to vent .....Dina
dinaisdone

Unread postby Guest » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 am

Hey Dina, get help!!! Quickly! Go to a meeting (there's a list on the home page for AA) and/or see your doctor. Act now!!!

Unread postby joep54321 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 am

Hey Jarred and Dina,
I commend both of you on taking the first step. With this you must admit to yourself that you are powerless over alchohol. Don't be scared remember the only requirement for AA is the desire to stop drinking and they welcome any and all with this desire. Get a list of people to call at your first meeting and use it!!!!!! whenever you get a desire to drink. Do not be afraid to call anyone on the list, that is why they are offering their # to you. Talking to other alcoholics is what keeps us all sober. Good Luck
joep54321

Unread postby JOEYB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 pm

I am new to recovery as well and feel Great!!! Meetings are the best!!!! Keep up the good work!! :D
JOEYB

good meetings

Unread postby anonymissliz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi, This is new to me as well. I stopped drinking two weeks ago after a few years of partying, which led to the usual failures in life. I did not want to go to meetings at first but now I don't mind going twice a day. The first meeting I went to was a little scary, I felt out of place to the point where I could have convinced myself that I was not an alcoholic. Afterwards a young girl, also appearing out of place, invited me to another meeting the next morning. I wasn't going to wake up at 9 AM on a Sunday to go to an AA meeting, but randomly woke up and figured I had nothing to loose. It was a totally different crowd this time, and I am very glad I went. I live in Center City and am trying out different meetings, finding groups of people that I not only feel comfortable sharing this struggle with, but also getting a great sense of inspiration from. Im 25 years old. All my friends are drinkers, at least 75% of my social life....that's a lie, 95% is going to have to be reinvented, so meetings are really helping bridge the gap between partying in my spare time and finding non-alcoholic things to do in this town.
anonymissliz

Unread postby ctbarr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm

go to MANY meetings only needs to be 2 ppl to have a meeting dont be scared we have ALL been there and had ALL the same fears...trust me!
ctbarr

Unread postby ctbarr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm

dinaisdone wrote:

I am brand new to this site and have one day sober.....i hate the way I act and feel when I put SoCO in my body...it turns me into a monster.......It is time that I just stop before I end up dead in an accident, I get raped, or killed........I want to be free of drinking ........I am scared of failure........I need someone to talk to because everyone I know drinks and it is not easy for me right now. I am a binge drinker who basically doesnt know when to stop when I do........sometimes I felt like suicide......I swear its the drvil...I am going to find meetings and start to talk to people who do NOT drink.....I am dying inside....I am in love and ruining my relationship.......just needed to vent .....Dina
hey sweetie, first of all...you need to get to a REHAB secondly...we ALL understand and we have ALL felt as badly as you are feeling right now you will NEVER have to feel this badly from drugs and / or alcohol again if you DO NOT PICK UP EITHER and get help IMMEDIATELY dont forget! it gets better but you probably need to get into treatment somewhere God Bless you!
ctbarr

Unread postby luxysr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:13 am

Well Jared, Did you make that meeting and if so, how is it going. Hopefully by now, you are staying sober and the pink cloud is over. Have you gotten a sponsor yet? Has anyone told you about people places and things, doing 90 meetings in 90 days, picking up living sober and the 12 steps book. Please remember to take it 1 day at a time even 1 hour at a time.

God has blessed us all! if you ever want to talk please respond to me. I have been clean and sober since 6/28/93 and I did it so far 1 day at a time.
luxysr

Unread postby dheasley » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 pm

dheasley

Unread postby reed,jared » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:30 pm

I am sober 5 days too. I am in out patient recovery and they said i need to go to meetings. I am feeling so good after 5 days that I dont want to lose this. I found an aa meeting tonight and whether i like it or not i am going to go, I WANT sobriety. Its my first meeting. Hope you go too!
reed,jared

Unread postby anonymissliz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 pm

:D Hey, my name is Tricia. I am 25 years old. I have been sober for a week just about. I also relate to early recovery. All of my friend... ALL of my friends drink socially. I need to find new friends that understand what I am going through now, and how I need to reinvent myself as well. I started running, eating healthier. I don't want to go to the bars and clubs anymore. The temptation is there. So I am going to find new hobbies, including AA. I haven't gone to one yet, but I am wanting to go to one.
anonymissliz

Unread postby genderfer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 am

I am 38 years old but I have been sober almost 4 years. I tried AA but all they do is rant about themselves and is irritating to me. I just logged on a chat line and the people completely ignored this poor girl asking for help as one member took the floor about dropping ice cream or somthing to that effect, I got flustrated and logged off as did she. I understand taking the floor but I could never ignore a cry for help! I tried to talk the the girl but they just kept whinning about themselves. good for you if meetings work for you and I'm not putting you down. I need somone to talk to or I wouldn't be here. I think sobriety is one day at a time and each recovery is unique. Good job guys! Don't give up EVER! It's sad to see your best years of life waste away from addiction. As long as I'm alive I have hope but also regrets of lost years. I make the most of my life and have done some incredible things but...it's not worth it..that one drink is not worth it. Live among the living and forget the dead emptiness that addiction gives you. Rejoice in the new day and take in the sweet aroma of sobriety. Each day counts!
genderfer

Unread postby Chris2wheels » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:17 am

JUST GO. I have been going for about a month. The people help more than I had realized. I have difficulty with the religious overtones but I have learned that it means well and put my own interpretation on that.

IT WORKS!

Chris H
Chris2wheels

Next

Return to New to Recovery?