How do I ask my mother to stop drinking?

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

How do I ask my mother to stop drinking?

Unread postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm 25 years old, and my mothers drinking has been a problem in my eyes now for 10 years. I have made many excuses to not confront her over the years, but now I've run out.

Three years ago I moved from PA to FL to get away from life as I knew it. Mostly I needed the change for myself, but I was also very greatful to get further away from my mother. Now I have a wonderful partner and a beautiful baby boy.

I travel to PA, or my mother comes down to FL about every two months since my son was born. At each visit her drinking is worse then the visit before.

I think I am going to write her a letter, but am looking for anyones insight on what to say, or more importantly what not to say.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time!

Unread postby Serenity » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Dear guest,

That is a difficult situation to be in. I write a lot of letters but I never mail them. Too many times I write them when I am angry and if I was to send them it would be counter constructive. If after a couple of days you can read the letter and still agree with what you previously wrote, then you may want to consider sending it.

It sounds like your mother is alone. Does she have friends nearby? Someone that could visit with her and maybe go out once in a while? Has she been to a doctor recently? Maybe you could go with her to get a checkup and speak with the doctor afterwards about her condition.

There are also many fine people in AA and Al-Anon that can help you and your mother.

Let me know if I can help.

Take care,

Serenity
Serenity

Unread postby Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:31 am

Hi Guest,
How's your mother with your son? Does she drink as much when she's around him? Maybe you could both go to a meeting (AA) when she's in Florida... Keep in touch.

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism