My mom..

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

My mom..

Unread postby M » Sun May 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi, I am fifteen years old and I live in Philadelphia. My mother left my father when I was about two and took me and my older brother with her. She left him because he was an alcoholic and was diagnosed with schizophrenia and she didn't think it was a safe environment. Around the age of 11 is when I started noticing how much my mom drank. We got in frequent fights about it, but it wasn't until my brother left for college that I felt completely helpless and alone. A couple of months ago, my mom was driving a friend and I to get dresses for winter ball. I noticed she was driving erratically and we got into a huge fight she swore on my life that she wasn't drunk. I begged her to pull over and called the cops, while I was on the phone she attempted to pry the keys out of my hands. She was arrested and my friend's family had to take me home where I spent the night alone. My mom still did not seek help and seemed to get better for only about two days. After things returned to normal and I began missing out on normal kid things because she couldn't drive me or I was afraid to leave her alone I called my grandparents, her parents, for help. They're really old and sweet so it was a hard step for me to take to tell them something so painful. When they realized how bad the situation was they sent her to rehab and I stayed with them on my springbreak off from school. Like other times, when she returned from rehab, she was okay for a little but quickly returned to her old habits. When I try to call my grandparents to let them know when shes been drinking she sometimes tries to grab me and shove her way into my room and its scary when she gets physical. It's hard for me to try to keep atop of my school work when I feel so alone. I feel as though my grandparents being involved isnt doing much considering my mom isnt getting any professional help (she claims its because she cant find the right fit for her, she doesnt like the religious stuff). I have been looking up alateen meetings in pennsylvania but I dont want to go to a church because I am not religious but it would be nice to have someone to talk to. I dont even have a question really I guess, just any advice?
M

Re: My mom..

Unread postby Guest » Mon May 03, 2010 6:41 am

Hello M, few things in no specific order: 1) could you stay at your grandparents for an extended period of time? I don't think it's safe for you to stay with your mom. 2) can you talk to a counselor at school? They have to know what's going on at your place and they can help you. 3) a lot of meetings take place in churches just because they usually have rooms available, but you don't have to be religious. The place and the meeting are not related. Please go to meetings - you will meet people your age who go through the same thing, you can learn from their experience, you will realize that you are not alone, you can start building a support network, and more. There's nothing you can do for your mom (she's in control of her life), but you can do things for yourself. Come back and share if you want.

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism