Sober 5 days...considering my first meeting tomorrow

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Re: Sober 5 days...considering my first meeting tomorrow

Unread postby Guest » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Congratulations Jared!

You are getting closer to the most important step of them all, and that is admitting to yourself that your drinking is a problem. Many people drink themselves to death without ever giving in to the idea that they "may have a problem". Here's a good rule of thumb, "if you think you have a problem, you do have a problem". The important thing to understand is this: You are no different than hundreds of thousand of people in the world. Admitting you have a problem does not mean you are different, or less of a human being than anyone else.

I encourage you to attend a meeting, and I can assure you there will be other people at the meeting, all of whom at one point were in your shoes and went to their "first meeting". Don't be afraid, or nervous. You will not have to say a word during the meeting. Of course, before and after the meeting, you will have people say "hello" to you and may ask you your name, since if they go regularly, they won't recognize you. They will know that you are new to that meeting anyway.

You will meet all kinds of people, some of whom you can and will relate to right away, and others whom you may think are very different from you, but in all likelihood are very similar to you, perhaps they took 15 or 20 years longer to walk through the doors, so what you are hearing, although you might not relate to, may very well be describing what you have to look forward to if you keep on drinking.

I hope that you will make the right decision. As long as you are drinking, you are headed for trouble. The sooner you learn that there is a whole other world out there who does not drink and drug, you will remain buried in your addiction. Go to the meeting, if you like it, go to another, reach out, talk to people, ask questions, everyone there is there to help you, that is a big part of the AA program, helping others get well.

Tbone

Unread postby rebecca » Wed May 26, 2010 1:03 pm

i just wanted to start today. i want to go to a meeting and do not know what to say...... i want to say help, i want to say, make it stop, and i want to say what is going to happen....just afraid of all the answers.
rebecca

Unread postby needthis » Thu May 27, 2010 6:31 pm

about to go to my very first meeting,,,very unsure of this whole aa thing ,,,but i got nothing to lose,,,nice to read comments on here,,,,ill keep checking
needthis

Unread postby dukiejuice69 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm

yo its all good just 4 today

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm.
dukiejuice69

Previous

Return to New to Recovery?