miserable 18 yr old who needs help...

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

miserable 18 yr old who needs help...

Unread postby daniloves45 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Hello, I'm Dani, and I am an addict. I just got back from a clinic about a month ago, and I am already at it again.... Please, someone out there, help me... I want to be clean, more than anything else. I just don't know how to live my life clean and sober anymore.
: (
daniloves45

Re: miserable 18 yr old who needs help...

Unread postby JasonG » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 pm

Dani,
First of all with you being on this forum and asking for help that means u want t chance. Recovery is a simple process but we make it to damn hard. Check on this website and find where NA or AA meetings are around you. Find one and go. Try to hit one every day if you can. Might sound crazy but the do help. You will hear other recovering addicts telling parts of their stories and what they did. Listen to suggestions. Take advice from others at the meeting. WHen you get there put your hand up when its sharing time and tell everyone who you are and that it is your first time. You will be amazed how many people will reach out and help you through this process. You also need to change your people places and things. Change the people you hang out with that used and stay away from all the places that either you used or made you want to use. What i did was make a list of 50 triggers. Places, things etc that i saw that would make me think about using. When you are done with the list, try to stay away from them. I know it is hard at first. I am only 90 days clean and its been a ride, but trust me it does get better. im on the verge of a divorce and you know what, im not going to use over it. It just is not worth it.

Stay strong, find supporting people and surround yourself with clean people. If you think about using call one of them. They will talk you through it. I learned that drugs hide your bad feelings and when you take away the drugs the bad feeling come back even stronger. So rough it out, just dont pick up. Live this one day at a time bro. Just wake up in the morning and think about not using for one day. It is alot more manageable. I could not see myself never using a drug again, and today i can. Hope this helped. sorry i rambled. I just love bring clean
JasonG

Unread postby jennytat2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:48 am

hi there i have been sober since 5/05 and it was not easy all i can say at this point is to go to a rehad center for 3-6 months and work on yourself, learn about yourself and get a sponsor
jennytat2

Unread postby luxysr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Dani, It seems as though you stopped going to your meetings. Meeting makers make it!!!!!If you truly want to live your life clean and sober, you have to put your life in someone else's hands other than yourself. Ask God or a higher power to take control of your life. Do a meeting a day for the next 90 days. Then do another 90 meetings in 90 days. Hell, sometimes you have to live it 1 hour at a time.

Get yourself a sponsor and listen to him, do what he tells you. Get phone numbers from guys in your meetings who have been clean and sober for a least 1 year. Call them up when you feel like you want to use. Do what your doing on here. Speak out, ask for help. You can do this but just not by yourself.

Stay away from other users or you will keep using. It's hard to go to a bar and not drink, it the same with using, it's hard not to use when the drugs are right in front of you. Dani, you have your whole life in front of you, be strong and surrender. Let it go!

Find something else to do with your time. Pick up a hobby, make friends from your meetings. Start your 12 steps program. Email me back if you truly want to live your life clean and sober and I will go into more detail with you.

God has blessed us all. He has given you another chance to live. Take full advantage of it
luxysr

Unread postby beachut » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:53 pm

I don't believe that you just have to go to meetings to make it. There are many things about meetings one must do to make it. Follow the 12 step program, not your program. Put someone else in charge - a sponsor or God as you understand him, and take direction. Begin working the steps immediately. Read the Bib Book, the 12 and 12 - go to special mts. Listen - sometimes more than share - get outside help if needed. Give yourself a chance. One day at a time. The Serenity Prayer - when you want to drink or use, say the prayer and call someone Before you pick up ( one of my big mistakes - afraid to call people) please don't maake the same mistake. Gratitude, humility. Stay on the beam. All things learned in the program. Go to different meetins. Choose a strong support roup, not necessarily people you like, but people you respect, that have recovery and LIVE recovery. At first all I could do was survive. Things do get better, then hard, then ok, then great, then a big obstacle - and you get through to the other side - a miracle - wow. RECOVERY,
beachut

Unread postby kymba » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 am

Being here does mean you are serious about wanting to better yourself and health. My best advice is to change your environment. If you are doing "nothing" admit yourself into a rehab. Find yourself. When you feel good about yourself and rehab is no longer an option, change your environment!!! As I've told my children, you are a product of your environment. My ex-husband owns a bar, he IS his environment. I got out of it. It wasn't me. I let it become me. I've been sober since 2007. I am no longer in environments that I do not want to be. I had to learn the hard way, I had to move from family and friends. I got myself back. I want my environment to be a product of me. There are "safe places" in some states where you can live alcohol and drug free. I looked into a "community" in Florida. I just didn't want to move that far. Sounds like a compound or something, but I researched it and this became an option that at the time, wouldn't work for me because of family responsibility. You can do it, the more you keep using, the more miserable you will be. Life is fun without drugs & alcohol.
kymba

Unread postby kaiwes1@yahoo.com » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:40 am

HI i got sober at the age of 20 something yrs. old. I'm now 53, point being in the beginning I didn't know about AA or the like. You know something at your great age of 18. What do you expect; about giving up something that has been with you all the time you've been using. Everything is different from my day , but I had to hit my bottom. Just because you say something doesn't mean squat. How times have you said that to someone that cares about you, and the drugs/alcohol took the place for all the sorry's on the world. Are you doing the suggested steps going to meetings accepted step one using the phone just working through the withdrawal one minuate at a time, until you have a safe support group surrounding your recovery. There is much work to be done, how about turning your control over to something greater than yourself. Use the group, table in meetings the sky, the trees, ocean, your own belief system something that you can turn to to lean on, trust, and cry for help to. Best of living life clean and free. Nobody can do this and you have to do this for yourself.
kaiwes1@yahoo.com

Unread postby mini » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:25 pm

HEY DANI,
I AM 32 & I JUST RETURNED FROM A TREATMENT CENTER ON JULY 1ST. I HAVE A HOUSE A JOB & A CHILD SO I HAD TO RETURN TO MY OLD STOMPING GROUNDS WHERE I AM SURROUNDED BY DRUGS. THIS IS MY 73RD DAY CLEAN & DON'T GET ME WRONG IT IS FUCKING HARD. JUST TONIGHT I WANTED TO USE SO BAD. SO, I DID EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WANTED TO DO. I GOT OUT OF MY OWN HEAD & TOLD SOMEONE. THEN I WENT TO A MEETING EVEN THOUGH I WAS DREADING IT, I FELT BETTER AFTER I WENT. LOOK, WE ALL SLIP UP. DON'T BE TO HARD ON YOURSELF. THE BEAUTY OF THIS LIFE IS TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY & A FRESH START. MAYBE THE TREAT CENTER YOU WENT TO WAS NOT THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU. I KNOW IT IS HARD TO STOP USING ESPECIALLY B/C OF THE PHYSICAL WITHDRAW AND THE MENTAL STRUGGLE BUT YOU OBVIOUSLY WANT HELP B/C THIS LIFE ISN'T MAKING YOU HAPPY SO YOU NEED TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I TRAVELED ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO DETOX AND DO A 30 DAY TREATMENT PROGRAM. DON'T GET ME WRONG THE 1ST 2 WEEKS I HATED IT BUT AS TIME WENT ON I OPENED MY MIND AND LEARNED A LOT. IT FUCKING SUCKED AT TIMES BUT THINK OF THE ALTERNATIVE. I KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE DETOX IN MY AREA I WOULD HAVE BOLTED THE 2ND DAY. THE DISTANCE HELPED. JUST THINK--ANY TYPE OF SUCCESS IN THIS WORLD REQUIRES DEDICATION AND HARD WORK THIS IS NO DIFFERENT. DON'T LET THIS DISEASE BEAT YOU. TAKE A STAND AGAINST YOUR ADDICTION AND TELL IT TO **** OFF. YOU CAN BEAT THIS DISEASE, YOU JUST NEED THE TOOLS TO LEARN HOW TO STAY ONE STEP AHEAD OF THE ADDICTION. I THINK OF MY ADDICTION AS A MORTAL ENEMY & I WILL FIGHT UNTIL MY DYING BREATH TO DEFEAT THIS DISEASE. IT IS NOT EASY, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE. YOU WILL HAVE GOOD DAYS AND BAD BUT AS LONG AS YOU GET THE HELP YOU NEED TO STOP USING ----THINGS WILL ONLY GET BETTER. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. YOUR DISEASE WANTS YOU TO BE MISERABLE, IT IS TIME TO TELL HIM TO **** OFF. THINK ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF TREATMENT IS BEST FOR YOU AND MAKE A COMMITMENT.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:25 pm.
mini

Return to New to Recovery?