Help

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Help

Unread postby mmoonlighter51 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 am

I have a family member facing divorce with 2 young children (my grandchildren) stuck in the middle. The Dad is an alcoholic but no one in the family has said it out loud, however, he admitted to me he needs to stop drinking. I don't know where to start and I certainly don't want to do the wrong thing, thinking it's the right thing to do. Can I attend a meeting that would give me advice? Thanks.
mmoonlighter51

Re: Help

Unread postby Elcy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 am

You should go to an Al-anon meeting. I don't know what area you live in, but try to find a beginners Al-anon first. If there isn't one in your area, then just start going to the meetings.
There you will find the support you need to deal with the addict in your life. That support doesn't necessarily mean taking charge of their lives, it's more about setting your own boundaries for your life. I have found the meetings a great resource, not only for the addicts in my life, but in dealing with other situations as well.

I don't know your relationship with the spouse of the alcoholic, but encourage them to go to, or after your first meeting, give them some literature from the meetings. You can't control anyone but yourself, so get yourself help first.

Divorce isn't the worst thing to ever happen, but it is out of your control. In the end it may be better for them as parents and partners, but it is their choice.

Get yourself help first, and you will be better equipped to deal with the whole situation.
Elcy

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism