Drug addiction and Bi-polar disease

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Drug addiction and Bi-polar disease

Unread postby Guest » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:59 pm

My otherwise wonderful 19 year old son was diagnosed as bipolar this summer...hard to tell if this is a legitimate diagnosis since he's a pretty eclectic drug user...he's quit collge, moved back home and when he's not high, is a great young man...unfortunately when he is impaired, he's hostile, aggressive, frightening and bacically making my life a misery. I'm forcing him to attend NA meetings as a criterion for continuing to live in the house, hoping that continued exposure to the supportive atmosphere will rub off.... Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:53 am

Hello Guest, does he feel better after going to a NA meeting? Does he have a sponsor? Or somebody from NA he can talk to? Going to rehab could be his best move (if he's willing to go). I would talk to my physician and I would call Horsham Clinic or Livengrin.

If anybody on this board has any other suggestions, please share them with us.

Unread postby Admin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:13 am

My otherwise wonderful 19 year old son was diagnosed as bipolar this summer...hard to tell if this is a legitimate diagnosis since he's a pretty eclectic drug user...he's quit collge, moved back home and when he's not high, is a great young man...unfortunately when he is impaired, he's hostile, aggressive, frightening and bacically making my life a misery. I'm forcing him to attend NA meetings as a criterion for continuing to live in the house, hoping that continued exposure to the supportive atmosphere will rub off.... Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

1st step: see a doctor, make sure he is physically ok.
2nd step: see a psychiatrist, there may be a medication he can take to stabilize him.
3rd step: see a therapist (along with the medication, it has been shown to improve recovery chances)
4th step: go to meetings. You to Nar Anon, him to NA

It is a battle. You do everything you can do, then with a clear conscious you can say I tried my best. Now it is up to him. It always comes down to the person abusing. It is their decision.

Good luck!
Admin
Site Admin

son

Unread postby guest » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:52 am

You have the right idea telling your son he needs to attend NA in order to continue living with you. Setting boundaries in love is the toughest thing that family members face. There is also Naranon or Alanon for you. That program really helps family members detach with love. I attend myself and it has helped me tremendously.

Hopefully your son is on medication by the doctor who diagnosed his Bi-polar disorder. If not, he really should see a good psychiatrist.

Addiction is a terrible illness. Treatment and support helps.

Unread postby Guest » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 pm

1st step: see a doctor, make sure he is physically ok.
2nd step: see a psychiatrist, there may be a medication he can take to stabilize him.
3rd step: see a therapist (along with the medication, it has been shown to improve recovery chances)
4th step: go to meetings. You to Nar Anon, him to NA

hope you have insurance....

Unread postby November_rain » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:37 am

Hi Guest,

hope you have insurance....

That's a very good point! What do you do when you don't have insurance? Does anybody know?

I'm sure it would be very helpful for a lot of people to know what the options are when you don't have insurance.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you,
November rain
November_rain

Unread postby Guest » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:52 pm

You have the right idea telling your son he needs to attend NA in order to continue living with you. Setting boundaries in love is the toughest thing that family members face. There is also Naranon or Alanon for you. That program really helps family members detach with love. I attend myself and it has helped me tremendously.

Hopefully your son is on medication by the doctor who diagnosed his Bi-polar disorder. If not, he really should see a good psychiatrist.

Addiction is a terrible illness. Treatment and support helps.

I agree. Settings boundaries is probably one of the more important steps to recovery. But often the hardest.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 am

Hello. There is hope for the bi-polar addict. The key, first, is getting him the right meds. I am 44 and was first diagnosed with BP at 35. It took until just 6 months ago to finally feel like I'm on the right path med-wise. I am on lithium and cymbalta. The lithium was very key......Good luck to both of you!

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi. I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 15. I am 20 right now. I am also an addict. I've gone through more than most people my age have and I've been in and out of the rooms and rehab since I was 14 or 15. After some recent legal trouble I am back and more hopeful than ever. The only advice I can give to your bipolar drug addicted son is that it is hard but you must remain hopeful. Drugs only make the illness worse and though you may feel normal for a moment while under the influence, the drugs wear off but the disease doesn't. You only feel worse. Find a secure support system and don't lose faith in yourself. Though I feel completely alone sometimes because I have two battles to conquer, it is important to understand how strong you can be.

I'm bipolar and was on drugs when i was younger

Unread postby spandicandi » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:02 am

I was diagnosed Bipolar at 13, and to top it off I was addicted to meth less than a year later. I was hell for my parents. I ran the house, literally. I didn't have a curfew, my brothers was 10pm and he was 2 years older than me. I was promiscuous, and I just didn't care about myself. Thing is when you are younger, you don't see it that way. I got involved with a outpatient/inpatient rehab and completely sobered up 10 months later. I relapsed a few times, but who doesn't. There is hope. I was on lithium for a while, but I quit taking it when I started using meth. Meth was a better high. I never went back to prescribed medication though. I even tried to cover up my disorder with marijuana. Which did work for a while, but then it just seemed to make my moods more extreme. Now, I take life one day at a time, and it is still hard, but I turned out to be a decent human being. Hey woulda thought? lol Anyway, you can try meds, try whatever comes to mind, eventually something will work, OR he'll grow up and realize he has a problem.
spandicandi

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion