Almost made it.

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Almost made it.

Unread postby ibemadshell1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Hello,
Anybody have any sugestions other then AA?
I have been hitting bottom for a really long time, and need to stop drinking now. I almost made it a full day again but then the kids started to act up, hubby came home and it's just all too much for me to handel. I leave and get a bottle. Come home, after taking a few swigs and it's all OK. I can be fun and the hubby is the ass. I sit and can do homework and read the kids a book. Without that swig of rum i would of hide away in my bedroom while he yelled at the kids for every little thing they did. I hate it...they are too young to hate it too but they know more then i'd like them too know I'm sure.
ibemadshell1

Re: Almost made it.

Unread postby Rain » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:04 am

Nope.
Rain

Unread postby Rain » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:15 am

I do know a LOT of things that didn't work.
Rain

Unread postby ibemadshell1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Rain, who are you and what makes you an expert?
Your comments are always too judgmental. Is this you sight? Are you trying to convert more people?
I do not believe in a god, I'm an atheist....dose that mean I can not find help within a community like this?
ibemadshell1

Unread postby Rain » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:25 pm

What makes me an expert is being a drunk. I am an expert at that.
I don't know what besides AA works.
I DO know that AA works.
I DO know that a lot of other things don't work, because I've tried them.
I DO know that if you are an alcoholic like me, then you will never get better, only worse.

I know you are angry, but it might not be at me.
Rain

Unread postby wagun27 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey. I don't know if you have ever tried NA, but it works well. Search for meetings in your area and make the time to go to one or two. Talk to some people there, it works!
wagun27

Unread postby whatsmyproblem » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:52 am

I know how you feel almostmadeit. I have been trying for over five years to get sober. Same thing with the kids, homework, a full time job and a husband who is never home in the evenings. It started when both my parents died suddenly within six months of each other and I had a child diagnosed with autism. Then cancer, hysterectomy, and more. I feel defeated, but I keep going to meetings. I truly don't know what to do. And yes, I have a sponsor.
whatsmyproblem

Unread postby TinyDancer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:54 am

Try SMART Recovery. It's a rational approach to recovery, no Higher Power necessary.

Since it sounds like you are a busy mom, please note there are also online meetings. Not as good as the "real deal" but functional in a pinch.

Be well.
TinyDancer

Unread postby TinyDancer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 am

Hey, Rain, guess what? AA has about a 1% success rate. It's not evidence based, it wasn't created by behaviorists or therapists or anyone but a hallucinating drunk drying out in a hospital bed under the influence of morphine and belladonna.

I'm truly, sincerely glad that it works for you. I am desperately, weeping-on-my-knees glad that it is working for a lot of people I care about very much. But that doesn't mean it is "the way, the truth and the light."
TinyDancer

Unread postby TinyDancer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:08 am

check into SMART meetings. It's a rational approach to recovery based on rational-emotive therapy by Albert Ellis. No Higher Power necessary. Since it sounds from your post like you are a busy single mom, note that they have online meetings through their website, www.smartrecovery.org. Not as good as the "real deal", but better than nothing in a pinch.

Rain, guess what? Research shows that AA has a 1% success rate. It is not evidence based, it was conceived by a hallucinating drunk drying out in a hospital bed on morphine and belladonna.

I'm truly, sincerely glad it works for you. And I am desperately, get-down-on-my-knees-weeping grateful that it works for a lot of people I love. But that doesn't mean it's "the way, the truth and the light."
TinyDancer

Unread postby Rain » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Heck, I just looked it up on the internet and it says that AA has a 0% sucess rate! It may even have a negative success rate! That means that not only does AA not help alcoholism, but that AA may cause alcoholism!

The good news is if AA has a 1% recovery rate that means that I must know them ALL!

Seriously, there are athiests and agnostics in AA. There are Jews and Christians and Muslims, Buddists, Pagans ,Wiccans and Baptists, and who-knows-what.

There are millions of people in AA, and somewhere, someone probably believes everything there is to believe in, nothing at all and everything inbetween. That's the point. You can believe exactly what you want to. The ONLY requierment is a desire to stop drinking.

If you don't want to go to AA, don't go.
If something else works, do something else.
If you change your mind, or what you are doing isn't working for you, there's probably a meeting near you.
Rain

Unread postby TinyDancer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Rain, everything in your post immediately above makes sense to me.

I would never speak for the originator of the thread, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a bit off-putting to ask for an alternative to something she feels isn't working and be told, no, this is the only way that works. It is for me, I've had that experience, and it is incredibly depressing.

Congrats on your apparent success in the program, keep on keepin' on.
TinyDancer

Unread postby ibemadshell1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Thank you Rain and Tiny Dancer. Your comments mean alot...at lest I know somebody is looking at my post.

Sorry to sound mad at you Rain, I'm not, (your right) just tired of everybody telling me to go to AA ...aka (to me) a god for help. Your replies did anger me because I know first hand that AA dose not work for everyone. It did not work for my friend, who is now dead, and will not for me. It works great for those that have a belief in a higher power, whom ever one chooses ,but that's not me. I know that you found help there and I am happy for you. I also have to believe that there is another way to find help, and support.

Tiny Dancer, thanks for giving me an idea of an alternative. I will look into it. A scientific approach sounds great to me. And if I can find a meeting outside of a church, well ..I'll be willing and ready to go.
ibemadshell1

Unread postby sobertoad » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:52 pm

ibemadshell1 wrote:Hello,
Anybody have any sugestions other then AA?
I have been hitting bottom for a really long time, and need to stop drinking now. I almost made it a full day again but then the kids started to act up, hubby came home and it's just all too much for me to handel. I leave and get a bottle. Come home, after taking a few swigs and it's all OK. I can be fun and the hubby is the ass. I sit and can do homework and read the kids a book. Without that swig of rum i would of hide away in my bedroom while he yelled at the kids for every little thing they did. I hate it...they are too young to hate it too but they know more then i'd like them too know I'm sure.

they are all excuses, if you want to stop it can be done. I have been in jail, numerous rehabs etc and when I got sick and tired of being sick and tired, I got sober. I was 24 with no job, home etc. That was 37 years ago and it has not been easy. I just had to put my 24 year old son in rehab but there is no better way than AA. Find a sponsor who you can call anytime. Try it for 90 days and if you do not like it we will give you a refund on your misery.
sobertoad

Unread postby Sissi0803 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey almost made it.

I totally agree with you about AA. I get more depressed when I go to AA and want to drink more. In my opinion it is nothing more than a bar without Alcohol. All the loser men waiting for the next victim. It is a revolving door and I only know a handful of people that it has actually worked for. It is like a freaking cult, it is their way or no way and they are not experts or doctors. I hate AA and that is great if it works for others but it does not for me and I have tried it on and off for years.
Sissi0803

Next

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion