Ibogaine

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Ibogaine

Unread postby TinyDancer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 pm

I used ibogaine in June to help end an addiction to heroin and cocaine. I have been working on my aftercare since, and have tried going to NA meetings, but I have encountered people there who expressed that it's better if I don't mention ibogaine, or am "discreet" about it. One went so far as to say that ibogaine is "incompatible with the 12 steps."

Ibogaine is an African root bark used by the Bwiti in Gabon as part of their rites of initiation. In high doses, it induces visions, and produces a metabolite that is released from the body fat for about six weeks after treatment. This metabolite attaches to mu, kappa and delta opioid receptors, increases serotonin transport, and gives the addict a window of opportunity to make deep and lasting changes. It also causes new pathways to grow in the brain via the expression of GDNF - literally rewiring the brain and solidifying the changes the individual brings about.

This is not methadone or suboxone. This is not an opioid replacement therapy.

I did not expect to wake up the next day and have a perfect life! Since my treatment, I have been using body work (massage and chiropractic care, partly for overall well-being and partly for the chronic pain issues that were one activating event in my addiction). I have been talking to a therapist. I have attended SMART and NA meetings. I have been talking to supportive friends and had loving support from my significant other, who also got clean using ibogaine in June and has been attending 12 step meetings since shortly thereafter.

Now I am suffering with PTSD, probably from a combination of different events that have occurred over the last year of my life. Going to NA meetings and reading their literature about being "powerless" makes me absolutely suicidal. Combined with the unkind reception I've gotten regarding ibogaine, I'm inclined not to return. Yet, my SO has successfully combined the two...

To me, NA seems to hold itself out as the "only" option for addicts. Yet, it is not evidence based, it boasts a very low success rate, and seems cultish in its intolerance of any beliefs that challenge its own.

Anyone have a thought to share? Can anyone explain why the hostile attitude toward ibogaine? No flames, please.
TinyDancer

Re: Ibogaine

Unread postby Shell » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi. I have never heard of ibogaine before. If it is taken in small doses, it sounds like it would be okay. You say that taken in high doses causes visions. That would be my main and only concern. I myself was a "crack addict" for 27 years and know the damage that it can cause on the brain. I do agree with medication that can be taken to help speed up the "repair" of our brains. I know that our brains have to go through a "re-wiring" and that does take time. I guess, for me, it's all about "hanging-in there" while the changes take place. At the same time, whatever works for you keep doing it. :D
Shell

Unread postby TinyDancer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, Shell. I should clarify for all who are unfamiliar with ibogaine (which is most folks, though I hope that changes...)

The "flood" dose is taken only once. This is the treatment I had in June. That is what results in visions, and they should not be confused with "hallucinations." They are extremely relevant to the person's life experience, their addiction, and their process. A great talk on ibogaine can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFvvTdsy ... r_embedded

(I especially like the part where the speaker distinguishes between the "visionary sacrament" of iboga and hallucinogen, and thought of that when I read your post, Shell.)

In addition, it is the "flooding" of the system that enables the metabolite noribogaine to be released slowly from the fat for about 4-6 weeks thereafter. That's the stuff that attaches to the opioid receptors and obliterates cravings during that time. That's your "window of opportunity," so to speak. I lot of very difficult things happened in my first six weeks, contributing to my depression/PTSD. So I have decided to microdose with iboga root (from which ibogaine is derived). A tablespoon a day, no visions, no euphoria. I just feel normal, no suicidal thoughts and no cravings. I definitely notice when I skip a day, though, and I am determined not to come to rely on this ally.

It's possible I may do another flood dose again in my lifetime. I hope it's not for addiction! But even the visions you see are not recreational. In fact, everyone I now who uses this medicine (in Bwiti, it is called The Sacrament) doesn't want to take their boosters the next day - "Please, no more!" It's nothing you'd try to make a fun weekend out of. It also wipes you out completely for about 10 days afterwards. The next day, you need someone to help you to the bathroom. You can barely lift your head off the pillow. Sleep is terribly scarce, too, for about 3-5 days after the flood. But well worth it for that GDNF to go to work rewiring your reward centers. I know I got a second chance, and I know what a blessing it is.

Thanks for your supportive comments and your open mind. I've spent the entire day researching alternative versions of the 12 steps I could potentially live with. I'm not trying to get out of working on myself, I still speak with a therapist once a week, I just can't get behind the steps at all, and combined with the unwelcome reception for my experience of getting clean in "the rooms," I am really discouraged regarding that particular route.
TinyDancer

Unread postby dukiejuice69 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:13 pm

try suboxone its better u can function!
dukiejuice69

Unread postby TinyDancer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:21 pm

dukiejuice69 wrote:try suboxone its better u can function!

Better for what? Depression? Anxiety? I've never heard of using suboxone for these conditions before. Please tell me more about this.

I am only familiar with suboxone as a treatment for opiate dependence. I am no longer physically dependent on opiates.
TinyDancer

Unread postby annajakub » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I have known alot of people that say that subs help them with depression and u wont be stuck in bed. gives u energy and are motivated to do things...thats the thing that bothered me when i got off herion..i didnt have any energy but the subs help...but now I am slowly cutting back on those so I dont have to take anything!!
annajakub

Unread postby davec1828 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:56 pm

you know what? if youre staying clean, thats all that matters. if it works for you,good :) i cant stand that cultish feeling sometimes. saboxen or methodone im sure are worse that the root stuff. what makes those better? the fact that the government recognizes them?? its bs if you ask me. what makes those addicts better than you??? who are they to frown upon how you got clean. if you're staying clean thats all that matters-like i said earlier.in my opinion methodone is just as bad as herion and harder to get off. get off the root and or the other stuff and just live a sober life!! get what you can outta the meetings, dont let anyone discourage you!!! i hope the best for you :D
davec1828

Unread postby TinyDancer » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:09 am

davec1828 wrote:you know what? if youre staying clean, thats all that matters. if it works for you,good :) i cant stand that cultish feeling sometimes. saboxen or methodone im sure are worse that the root stuff. what makes those better? the fact that the government recognizes them?? its bs if you ask me. what makes those addicts better than you??? who are they to frown upon how you got clean. if you're staying clean thats all that matters-like i said earlier.in my opinion methodone is just as bad as herion and harder to get off. get off the root and or the other stuff and just live a sober life!! get what you can outta the meetings, dont let anyone discourage you!!! i hope the best for you :D

Thanks for the encouraging words. I decided ultimately to use microdoses of iboga root bark (from which the alkaloid ibogaine is derived), just a teaspoon or so per day (by way of explanation, it would require 20 or more spoonfuls at a time for a flood dose). No visions, no altered state of consciousness - unless suddenly not wanting to kill myself counts! After a week, it was every other day, soon it was once a week, maybe a couple days in a row here and there if there were triggers for my PTSD, but got down to once a week and haven't had any more since 10/11. I didn't crave it at all, in fact, I noticed myself forgetting to take it and I would take that as a sign that I didn't need it. I have also been able to attend two NA meetings without having a panic attack for the first time since I began.

I don't put anything in my body today but food and vitamins. And I'm loving it.

One caveat, though, the iboga root may seem to interfere with the birth control pill......... :o Or maybe it's just that when you open the door to beauty and joy in your life, beauty and joy walk in. Go figure.

Blessings to all.
TinyDancer

Unread postby avendagold » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Great post. NA works for a small percentage of people, but Ibogaine works for 90% of people. It changes people lives from the inside. It's important for people to find out about Ibogaine and realise that it is the number one treatment for addiction, phobias and depression and for a fantastic life. It's brutally honest with you and will sort out your life.
avendagold

Return to Drug Addiction