help

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

help

Unread postby mg5185 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 am

Hello,
This is my first time here. I'm trying to help my daughter who is an alcoholic. She won't do anything to help herself. I found her on the bathroom floor at 3am. We had a horrible fight earlier in the evening. I don't drink. I'm allergic to alcohol, plus I never liked it. Her father and all of his family drinks. I need help.. She's 25 and cannot live alone. What do I do?
mg5185

Re: help

Unread postby ziggy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:27 am

I am new to this too. After I guess 36 years I finally will admit that I have no control over alcohol it controls me. I'm sure other people will tell you this that its her decision until she makes that noone can make her stop until she is ready. From own personal experience I lost my marriage of 31 years my wife gave me plenty of chances to get help but I never did. I always said I control my drinking I only fooled my self. Saying after one I could stop that lead to either I had no money or no more beer in the house. Good luck but until she really wants to change will she succeed.
ziggy

Unread postby hope » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:06 am

She needs to be the one who owns her life. It took me 18 years with my son to understand this. I was such an enabler that it left him the money as well as the time to buy alcohol and get drunk. He is in treatment now but after 7 detox/ recovery centers this last time he was the one who wanted to go. Don't give up hope but as hard as it is let her fall and be there for support but not judgement.
hope

Unread postby theresetiger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi, I am so sorry for your pain. It is so hard to see someone we love hurting themselves, taking dangerous risks and jeopardizing their future. The only thing you can really do is take care of yourself. I know everyone says that and it doesn't seem helpful. But if she won't help herself, there is nothing you can do. Please go to as many al anon meetings that you can.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:26 pm.
theresetiger

Return to New to Recovery?