Moms last chance

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Moms last chance

Unread postby Mike D » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 am

My mom has been an alcoholic for all of her adult life, about 1 1/2 years ago she came within inches of dying and essentially hit rock bottom. Since then I believe the experience has scared her straight and she hasn't drank. She attended many AA meetings for the first year or so but she can be quite stubborn and refuses to accept God. She doesn't wanna be part of a "prayer group" or a "cult". Unfortunately I fear that she is about to fall back into her old ways and I know from previous experience that I am powerless to stop her. She lives alone in Toms River, NJ and has many health issues and very few friends. I guess my question to whoever is are there any secular AA groups in her area? How can I get her involved with positive, healthy people? Her liver is shot and there is no question that she wont last a month of drinking so this truly is her last chance! Please help!
Mike D

Re: Moms last chance

Unread postby Rainspa » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:45 pm

By the book:

AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. -Grapevine, -Preamble

We are not allied with any particular faith, sect or denomination, nor do we oppose anyone. -BB xiv, Foreword to First

Now, is she going to believe that? Probably not. It really is true, but it's hard to believe. Also, it's a really good excuse to reject AA. The 12 steps are to trigger or cause a spiritual awakening.

"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps..."

One of the things that happen is you gain sobriety. Usually a FAR better life as well, BTW. And spiritual experiences are available to anyone, in any religion.

But there is something that AA can't fix, and sometimes members want to. A LOT. But there isn't much to be done with a closed mind.
I'm sorry.
I hope your Mom decides that maybe she can be just a little bit willing. Prayer is always a good idea.
Sorry for your pain. Please consider Al-Anon for yourself.
Rainspa

Unread postby Mike D » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 am

Trust me I understand that it is probably just an excuse but if the women doesn't wanna pray what can I do? I am simply looking for a place where she can discuss her problems that doesn't include god, prayer or spiritualism. I have to admit I find it kinda odd that he only way to quit drinking is to pray? What do die hard atheists do?
Mike D

Unread postby Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Mike D,
Yes it's possible to get sober without AA. Check out Women for Sobriety. They have lots of good literature. Getting sober needs to be a rational choice. Another option is Rational Recovery. They also have great literature. Would she see an addiction psychiatrist who could prescribe the newest medication to help with cravings? Yes, there are options.

The kicker is that you can't do the work for her. Ultimately she has to be willing to change. All the best.

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism